Thursday, February 16, 2012

Homemade Baby Food

It's surprising to me how many people opt to feed their babies commercial baby food over the fresh, homemade stuff.  I mean, we don't - at least we shouldn't - eat every meal out of a jar or box on the shelf, so why do we feed this to our babies?  Yes, you can buy commercial baby food that says "organic" or "no preservatives" on the label, but it's still food in a jar that sits there on a shelf for YEARS!  If there are no preservatives, then how can it last for years, you ask?  Because it's been cooked to the point that no bacteria can possibly survive it.  But guess what else can't survive it; nutrients.  I'm not saying these foods are bad; I'm just saying fresh is better, and maybe commercial baby food should be an exception not the everyday norm.

Making homemade food is so easy, I can't even begin to tell you!  I started a couple of weeks ago with oatmeal, and now I'm on a baby food frenzy.  Making a week's worth of food literally takes 3 minutes...and that includes cleaning all the crap up.  So I decided to post little recipes so that other moms can see just how simple and quick it is.

These are some foods that are good for babies 4-6 months old.  They're good because they have the lowest allergy risk.  Squash, pears and zucchini are also very safe foods for new eaters.  

To make homemade green pea puree

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup frozen or steamed fresh peas
  • 1/4 cup water


Directions:
  • Blend peas and water until smooth, adding more water if a runnier texture is desired

I use the Baby Bullet only because I got it as a Christmas gift.  Any blender or food processor works perfectly well.



*Tip - These little cups come with the Baby Bullet, but you can buy portion containers in the baby section of any store.  I actually prefer using ice-cube trays.  It's a perfect single portion, and once they're done you can pop them out and store in zip-lock bags with the date written on them.

 
Thaw and serve whenever you like.
Food is good for 2-3 days in the fridge and about 2 months in the freezer.



1 comment:

  1. I have been searching for hours and I haven’t found such awesome work. chef whites

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...