Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cloth Baby Wipes

So, I'm excited to say that I've been using cloth baby wipes pretty much as soon as Fiona was born.  And despite what everyone told me (why are people so negative and discouraging?!) I do not find it difficult or inconvenient.

One of the many things I've learned about myself in the last few months is how much I love to prove people wrong.  So there... people who thought I would get fat with pregnancy, give in to eating meat (I never even crave meat), and that I wouldn't go through with an all-natural home birth... I will continue to use cloth wipes.  :)  

It's so great; I love to do things as eco-friendly as possible.  PLUS it saves a lot of money.

There are many different ways to go about using cloth baby wipes.  All you have to do is type "homemade baby wipes" in a Google search, and thousands of little tutorials will pop up.  Here's what I did:

I bought 2 yards of flannel.  It's perfect because it's soft yet durable.
You can use cute prints like these, but you're using it to wipe up 
pee and/or poop, so why waste the money?
I just got 2 yards of plain white flannel.

I cut the fabric into rectangles about the size of a baby wipe.
Just so they'd fit into a used baby wipe container.
I would suggest using pinking shears like these.
Pinking shears cut the edges of the fabric into a zigzag shape so it doesn't fray much when you wash it.

Then all there is to do is make the wipe solution and put it in a spray bottle like this one
which you spray onto the flannel before using it on your wee one's cute butt.
I use a really simple recipe from this website that just requires mixing:
2 tablespoons baby oil
2 tablespoons baby wash
1 1/2 cups water
So easy!

Now the big question is what to do with a used cloth wipe, right?
Who wants yucky poop particles in their washing machine?
This device is amazing.
You hook it up to your toilet and its super strong pressure sprays any nastiness into the bowl before you throw the cloth into your washing machine.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post!

    For one, I also plan on making and using cloth wipes. It just makes sense since I plan on making and using cloth diapers!

    And, I love your attitude! I'm only 10 weeks along, and I'm already SO SICK of the Debbie Downers! Why does everyone feel the need to put down all my plans and tell me it won't happen. Good grief, lol, people suck sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! It's SO hard to bite your tongue sometimes but the best is when you can prove people wrong. :) Congratulations on your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...