Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I Like to Ride my Bicycle

Paul, Ringo, George, John
Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart

Vanessa Paradis

It seems that riding bikes isn't very cool in Las Vegas.  Years ago, I dreamed of riding about town on a cute beach cruiser with a basket on the front filled with fresh flowers, a bottle of wine and a baguette.  Apparently too many nostalgic Parisian photographs led me to believe this was normal and/or practical.

A while back, a good friend of mine got me an adorable sea-foam green beach cruiser for my birthday and I was so excited to begin my bike-riding adventures:  running errands, riding through the city, looking cute and saving gas while doing it.  Au contraire.  I rode to the grocery store to fulfill my dream of filling my little white basket with flowers and baguettes, and it was then that I understood why people don't ride bikes here.  This is not a city like New York or Chicago.  Everything is so far apart here!  Vegas is a spread out city, and it makes daily bike-riding pretty impractical.  And since it's so uncommon, drivers are NOT very friendly toward people who attempt this dangerous activity.  Bike lanes may as well be called death lanes. 

Fortunately, almost 2 years ago we moved to a little area of the city called Green Valley.  Traffic is a bit less crazy here, the landscape is nice and it is much more common for people to be out jogging, walking their dogs and yes... riding their bikes.  There's a little center behind our house that has everything: a grocery store, Starbucks, a Bikram yoga studio, restaurants, both of our banks... It's great!  

I did get some funny looks when I rode my bike to the grocery store the other day.  But I'm just going to go ahead and assume it was because I'm 9 1/2 months pregnant wearing an overstuffed backpack (in which I managed to cram a melon and jug of orange juice) and 3 bags of groceries in my basket... plus it was 105°.  I guess I may have looked  bit nutty.

Anyway, I can't wait until the weather cools off a little and my wee one will be able to come on bike rides with me.  Hopefully we look as cute as this mom and baby team:

Photo via A CUP OF JO

The three great photos above are from this website, which displays photos of celebrities and their bikes.  It's really cute.  My favorite are the photos of old Hollywood stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...