Friday, August 5, 2011

Adventures in Pregnancy

After nine months of pregnancy, with about 4 more weeks to go (yes, pregnancy is actually 10 months), I'm realizing that I kind of don't remember what it feels like not to be pregnant.  It's a weird thing when a phase so temporary - and short - starts to feel completely normal, like there was never another you.  I look at pictures of myself from just a few months ago and I feel like that was a different person.  Did I really think I was fat in THAT picture?!  Hopefully I never let myself think that again.

So far I really like being pregnant.  I've been so blessed with a really wonderful pregnancy.  Perfect health for the baby and me, no real pain or discomfort, no sickness and I sleep like a champ.  Everyone tells me the last bit is the worst, but I feel completely normal in almost every way except that I have to pee every 3 1/2 minutes.

I feel like I've gotten so used to just being pregnant that I forget there's a baby that comes out at the end of all this!  Then there's the whole new, more permanent "mommy" phase that I'm sure will make me wonder how I ever was anything else before that.  It's pretty exciting, but I do think the end of pregnancy is a little bittersweet.

5 things I'll be happy to end:
  1. Difficult breathing since I have such a small torso and no room for my lungs.  Although, lately I've gotten pretty used to it.
  2. Going to the bathroom 411 times a day.
  3. The scary idea of birth looming over my head.  Yes, I'm excited and have no regrets that we're having a home water birth.  And yes, I'm extremely confident that everything will be wonderful... But I think the idea of a 7 pound anything coming out of you would scare anyone.  Right?
  4. Not being able to sleep on my back or stomach.  I miss it so much!
  5. Having the same conversations over and over again.  I know people mean well, but seriously... I feel like I hear, "Are you excited?" "What names do you have picked out?  Fiona, like from Shrek?!" "You're crazy to have a homebirth" "You don't know the sex, I could never not know the sex" and "You should..." in a continuous loop in my head.
5 things I'll miss:
  1. Feeling like a rockstar for doing completely normal, everyday activities like walking to the grocery store or still being able to bend over and tie my own shoes.  I haven't gotten so much praise for that since I was 5!
  2. Feeling the baby move.  It's the most amazing feeling!  It's weird and a little creepy, I'll admit.  But amazing.  And my baby doesn't kick, he/she rolls.  There is no way to describe the feeling...except maybe like a really bad case of gas or something...but way cooler.
  3. Not feeling guilty for taking spontaneous naps during the day.
  4. Still feeling beautiful even when I don't really look it.
  5. Back massages from Evan without complaint.  


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...