Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Music Feeds the Belly


So, I try not to be that person that talks about babies and being pregnant all the time because let's face it, it gets annoying.  I AM pregnant and sometimes I get annoyed about baby talk!  But with all the crazy changes - emotional and physical - that I'm going through, it can be difficult not to vent a little.  You know, just to make sure I'm not actually just going crazy.  And if this stuff bores you, then good thing you're reading this and don't have to look me in the face while you yawn and then scroll your cursor to the corner of the screen that provides you your exit.

Lately I've been having horrifying dreams that my baby is born an absolute terror.  And I don't mean the screaming up and down the aisles of the grocery store knocking over jars of apple sauce kind of terror.  I mean a baby that kills animals and hangs them by the tail in doorways kind of terror.  Yes... that was an actual dream.  I'll spare the disgusting details.  Suffice it to say that I woke up in a sweaty panic, looking around to make sure that my dogs were not in fact hanging by their tales on the pull-up bar in my bedroom doorway.

Luckily,  I've read that scary baby dreams while you're pregnant is normal; especially if you're a first-time mother.  Since I've always had pretty imaginative nightmares, I'll try not to think too much of it.  I'd like to think it's just my under-used creativity along with the small fear I have of being an inadequate mother running wild in my sleep.  Normal right?  Anyway, I've also read that unborn babies can hear and react to sound.  Some have also discovered that fetuses breathe in time to the music they enjoy.
A California obstetrician by the name of Rene Van de Carr says he has observed a 33-week-old fetus pattern his breathing to the beat of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.


*This picture does not actually or accurately depict the baby of Krystal and Evan.


I don't really care what effect music has on the rhythm of my child's breath, but I am wondering if music can effect behavior.  If it did, I would like to take the time to make a few song requests to ensure that I don't end up with Rosemary's baby:

1.  "Angel Baby" by Rosie & the Originals

2.  "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" by Four Tops

3.  "What's the Matter with You Baby" by Marvin Gaye

4.  "Angel of Mine" by Monica

5.  "Get Happy" by Frank Sinatra

6.  "Gimme Some Love" by Gina G

7.  "God's Children" by The Kinks

8.  "Goin' by the Book" by Johnny Cash

9.  "Good Life" by Kanye West Ft. T-Pain

10.  "A Good Heart" by Feargal Sharkey

Okay, so obviously this would do absolutely nothing to effect the behavior of an unborn child.  But perhaps playing this playlist against my belly would at least amuse me... and maybe even rid me of my nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...